Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jo
Senior Contributor

Being sent home from hospital too early.

My son is in hospital and there is talk of sending him home very soon. When I say 'my son', I mean the complete strager I visit every day in hospital who now speaks with a very Royal British English accent 24/7, is still wearing exactly the same suit, white shirt and tie that he was wearing when he was admitted ten days ago (he normally never even wears a suit) and won't wear his normal clothes that I have taken in to the hospital because he claims they are not his clohes - that they belong to 'Norman Percy'. When I asked who Norman Percy was, he answered 'a normal person'. Instead of showing any signs of improvement since being admitted to the hospital, he has actually become worse and the British accent even more pronounced. He was admitted May 4th. Today is May 14th. Every single day I have asked to speak to a doctor but every time been told there was no doctor available. When I eventually spoke to a nurse, he was amazed to discover that the person who used to be my son is Australian, not English. Yesterday another nurse told me my son could be releasd from hospital next week.This would be a disaster as he lives alone and I live in a small one bedroom unit in a retirement village so he wouldn't be able to live with me.His diagnosis is bi-polar disorder which he has lived with for many years but what is happening now has never happened before, He has turned into another person completely and I am very worried.
My question is this. Can anyone advise me of someone I could see re getting help in keeping my son in hospital until he is 'himself' again, before being sent home? Is there a Body or Society I can report the hospital to if he is released prematurely?

151 REPLIES 151

Re: Senthome from hospital too early

Hi @Jo,

I'm sorry to hear that your son is unwell. The only thing I can think of is getting in contact with the MH Comission.

Is his current treating familiar with him? I mean, do they know his history, and that he not himself? It sounds like he might need another assessment, and potentially another diagnosis. 

I'm not sure if this is helpful but there is this thread where @Determined @Former-Member and @Shaz51 talk issues with getting their loved getting discharged. I'm not sure how relevant it is for you, but I figure that might have some to add seeing they have delt with having their loved ones come home (often too early as well).

I hope your son gets the helps he needs, and that you get helpful information. 

CB

Hi @Jo
Are you your son's primary carer or designated support person? Under the mental health act the treating team have obligations to communicate with you. You might need to assert this when you ask for an appointment to speak to the doctor.
Darcy

Thanks so much Cherry Bomb. Today, 12 days after he was a...

Thanks so much Cherry Bomb. Today, 12 days after he was admitted, I am to have my first meeting with a doctor at the hospital. My son is still wearing the same suit he was wearing when he was admitted and still speaks with a very 'Royal Family' British accent. Hopefully I'll be given some information on what they intend to do. Thanks again.

Hi Darcy, I was my son's full-time carer and he lived with me for those years. He improved enormously and shifted into a unit to be independent but it's only a few minutes away from me and I do a lot for him. His local mental health team have stepped in and we are having a meeting with the hospital doctor today. Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.

Hi @Jo

How did your meeting go today? 

Darcy

Thanks Darcy. It went well. Unbeknownst to any of us, although he remained on his anti depressants, eight weeks ago he took himself off his anti psychotic drug, which has caused all this chaos. He said they blocked his creativity. But the hospital has put him back on them and increased the dosage. It will take some weeks to see if this works and the hospital has promised to keep him in there until there is obvious improvement. . Thanks again for asking Darcy. X

hello @Jo

I wanted to reply even though I had nothing to offer other than mental health commission or similar.

I also did not want to further upset you in stumbling with an answer.

Very hard times when we find our sons detained and not wanting to take medication.

Please keep on writing.

@Jo
Good to hear they have found out the cause of his relapse. Hope your son soon stabilises and gets back to remission.
Are you are able to relax a little more now and perhaps take advantage of the respite his hospital stay gives and get out and do some things for yourself?
Would it offend if I wished you the best of British luck?
Darcy

Thanks Mohill. He'll be staying in hospital longer now, until the change and increase of medication takes effect.Like most carers, I find it extremely hard to 'detach' from the situation and take time out for myself. I visit the hospital evey day. (Don't practise what I preach. Pathetic! )

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance