Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Vegan
Casual Contributor

Cptsd and isolation

Hi , i need to connect with people but ive become lost in the internet trying to escape my childhood. How rediculous is it that im trying to solve this problem on the internet?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Cptsd and isolation

Thanks for your replys.

Hey @Vegan

I don't have complex PTSD, but I have have experienced trauma that makes it hard for me to attend group functions.

I don't think there is nothing particularly wrong with the internet, as long as you have some facetime as well. I force myself to go to family occasions as I don't have anyone else.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi @Vegan

Welcome to the Forums!

I don't think looking to the internet is a bad idea 🙂 Even though we're not face to face, doesn't mean you can't develop genuine friendships. 

@Jacques and a few other members can probably testify to that!

Later tonight we will be having our weekly 'virtual dinner' together in Friday Feast . You're welcome to join us! 

Nik

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Vegan

I have cptsd as well, and depression/anxiety. Its a battle. I dont think its silly to be trying to look for answers/help anywhere.. i've done the same, been kind of obsessed with finding out as much as i can, trying to work out what's 'wrong' with me, how 'they' could do such awful things to a child/adolescent etc. Mostly the internet is good because it is somehow more removed, its 'secret' and 'safe' i guess. Its really only been counselling/therapy, and meidication thats helped me get better somewhat and cope better, learn more about myself in my own situation/person.

Glad you've posted, hope you continue to post and that I see you around the forums,

LJ

Im so confused i know i need to break this pattern of isolation and just let go but i wont. It feels like an eternity i have been sitting in front of my computer. I know i wont die. I just want to be a lanscape photograher. I want to take pictures of nature but i dont know how to comunicate with random people ive isolated myself for too many years. The cycle just keeps going with no end in sight. Here i am on my computer trying to connect with people when i should just go outside. But i wont. What is it going to take to end this?

n/m.

Former-Member
Not applicable

People are cruel both online & face to face. I find connecting with nature recharges the soul, notising & discovering & doing - the garden, bushwalks, birdwatching, clouds....

@Vegan, I hope you will make the effort to get out and do some photography. I've started getting into it recently & I am finding it helpful and relaxing. I'm getting exercise I need & finding myself in some very nice places. And because these are areas without a lot of people around I find I don't have to interact with anybody either. I actually got up at 4:30 am last week to catch the sunrise over the beaches near here. While I only have a decent digital camera right now I'm hoping to get a good secondhand DSLR soon. My camera goes pretty much everywhere with me now.

I live a pretty isolated life too, though I don't struggle as much to get out and see people occasionally as I used to. And online friends aren't all bad, I feel closer to a lot of mine than I do to many people in real life. Maybe it's the anonymity or the fact that they don't know anyone in my life or are so far away as to be 'safe'. Still, there are very, very few I will reveal much to.

Maybe do a little research about walks in your area & plan a short trip to take a walk & get some photos done. Pick on isolated or quiet area/time so you don't need much interaction. I'm surprised that with all the great weather we're having here the beaches are pretty much empty during the week. Maybe you could find somewhere like that.

Whatever you decide, take care.

wow......

I just found this thread,

How relevant. 

I keep on thinking that I'm the proffesional boring married couple in WEstern Australia.....

It's so easy to hide yourself away. I often do it. But I can't now because my husband is my reflection and the people who live around us are'nt good to be around sometimes..being the joy of living in public housing. 

Have you thought of vollunterring just maybe at your neighbours...maybe just pulling the weeds one day ...like little tiny goals?

The elderly woman accoss the way from me keeps on giving loads of money to silly billies who take all her money and not stick to their promises and help her with the cleaning her unit.

I have reached a level where I go and help her clean her place and take her to the Doctor. I can't do this all the time but I force myself to get out and help out. It's because her story is sad. In the 5 years I have known her, I have seen that her face has changed from being tight to softened and kind. 

PP

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance