Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MyLilOne
Casual Contributor

Family Connections ... waiting but wanting some information and skills now

Hi Everyone,

I'm waiting to get into the 12 week Family Connections Program (South Australia/Southern Adelaide). 

Unfortunately I am going away oversees for a month in August so I am waiting till after that to begin the program, as starting before meant I would miss blocks of it... but I really need some help right now.

Does anyone have any links or information about some of the skills that I might be able to look into myself and do a bit of self learning and research in order to just get some successful communication happening with my daughter. 

Waiting till September/October is too long and need some help now!

I knd of feel like I'm slowly picking up skills just by going through a few years of psychologist and hospital appointments with her but I need to learn things that are BPD specific, as just being calm and logical doesn't really help when the other person can't even think straight.

x

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Family Connections ... waiting but wanting some information and skills now

Hi there @MyLilOne

That is really great you are going to do that 12 week course, that will be very helpful. In the meantime you might want to also get yourself some extra support, this could be through a psychologist or counsellor for yourself so you can work through soem boundaries and ways of coping. There is Mental Health Carers South Australia who can provide some help with that, they also have a helpline if you are wanting to chat to someone and talk through some options:

Mind Carer Helpline (Mind National)
1300 554 660
carers@mindaustralia.org.au
SA - www.mindaustralia.org.au/need-help/mind-services-in-south-australia.html
The helpline is a great source of information, guidance and referral.
Carer education - provide carer education, led by experienced carers. The focus is on helping build your skills and resilience. This maps supports across a continuum of caring and recovery.
Available at some locations:
• Counselling and peer support
• Short term in-home respite
• Recreation days and events
• Support groups

Lunar

@Lunar, I definitely need some counselling for myself. I will contact them. Thank you

That's awesome that you're getting involved with that course @MyLilOne

One of our most viewed discussion is:

Borderline Personality Disorder tips for family and friends

which @Brodie started back in 2014, but still seems popular.

We have also run two Topic Tuesdays around BPD:

Debunking the myths of BPD

Having a loved one with BPD

There is also an information guide here on the SANE website.

I hope you find these helpful!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance