Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Toki
Contributor

I could use some advice...

So i should probably talk about this rather than let it bounce around i my head..

My relative has shown definite symptoms of dementia(I know this site is more for mental illness like depression, anxiety, and such but I was hoping for a different perspective). At first, it wasn't as noticeable and she hid it well. But now, it's definitely a concern I have. She forgets recent events, what she says, and conversations she's had. I have to remind, reiterate what she's said so she can remember. She's older, but now it's becoming more of an issue that it's affecting her life. She'll put something down, then walk away. Few minutes later, she wonders where she had put it and looks everywhere for it. I want to talk to her about this, discuss it openly and hopefully try to find a resolution, but because of previous traumas, she won't. She just won't.

I've looked into dementia and Alzheimers a bit, but I'm completely lost. I want to talk about it with others who have been through it, but I'm not sure where to go. I think she may have lewy bodies too, but I'm not sure until I get a second opinion. Any advice? Are there any good forums where I can go to with this? Any information or advice would be helpful. 

Thanks, Toki

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I could use some advice...

Hello @Toki 🙂

I don't have a lot of advice, though I did work with those suffering symptoms of dementia for a decade or more. I'll tag @Former-Member as they might be able to point you in the right direction. If you type the subject eg.  Alzheimer's, into the subject line, it will bring up similar posts. I imagine you have already done a internet search and contacted the relevent organizations. If you use the @ symbol with a users name, it will notify them of your post. The only advice I really have, from my experience of caring for those that suffer from these symptoms, is patienceHeart

Hi @Toki,

Welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear your relative is struggling with Demntia at the moment, I understand that would be hard. We are a community of supportive people, yes, we are mainly dedicated to mental illness here but there is always an overlap when it comes to caring for someone else in general health needs and the stress and anxiety we can go through in doing that. You may find the carers area useful as well here.

I have done a bit of research for you (google is a great pal!) and Dementia Daily  appears to have some great resources, a helpline and a list of forums that you can also access for people going through very similar situations. You can also look at Alzheimers Australia that has some support lines and online areas of possible use as well.

Hope this helps,

Lauz

Thank you Lauz! I'll definitely look into that, and that really helps( like you wouldnt believe how much) so thank you 🙂

I'll give that a try. I agree with you about having patience, it does lots. Thank you!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance