Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

cappy
Casual Contributor

I don't know where to begin...

Hi

I'm 42, I have 2 children 17yr & 2 yr. My partner and I have been together for 17 years, and he was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 2 years ago. 15 months ago he took a huge step and got help.

Days are up and down, I love him so much and today I realised I have forgotten who I am.

I don't know why it has taken me so long to accept the fact that he is living with these health conditions, so I guess I'm here trying to make sense of the daily struggles and now that I have joined this forum I'm not alone.

I also think I need to talk to a counselor to help me help him a lot better.

24 REPLIES 24
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: I don't know where to begin...

Hi @cappy

I'm Arie one of the moderators on the forums. Firstly welcome and congrats on your first post. The sane forum is a supportive community where you can seek assistance and support from other members. In case you have not been able to find them I have included a link to the community guidelines  Happy posting.

I noted that you are considering counselling for yourself. You can ask your GP for a mental health care plan to see a psychologist or counsellor. Under medicare you can get 6 sessions at a reduced cost. 

Good morning to you, may I send you congratulations on reaching out and considering counselling for yourself.

Your hitting the nail right on the head with looking into counselling or even some life coaching strategies. Strategies in Life coaching include activities for the whole family and allow each member to recognise their worth and potential. You can all be great support to each other, friends and family.

Its really important now that you husband has reached out for help that you make time for laughter and take it seriously. In todays environment there is so much advertising which lends the mind to thinking we arre not enough and there is lots of messages to confus us. 

Remenber you are individuals whom are all learning constatntly at your own pace, taking time to reach out and respect each others differences will make life really enjoyable for you all.

Well done you.

Amanda

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @cappy
There are a few of us in the "ups and downs" thread who care for our husbands with MI, all different stories but we know what it feels like to lose ourselves in the process.

Carers Aust offer free counseling which can be a real help. Wellways offer carer education through their building a future program. (Eastern states).

Darcy

Hello and thanj you Amanda - life coaching never occurred to me, I will look in to it.

It's been a tough week already 😞

Hello Arie I appreciate the welcome very much. I tried and forgot about the health plan. I'll be off to get another done up asap 🙂

Hello Darcy thank you for responding and the resources I'll give them a call 🙂 appreciate it Darcy
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @cappy if you put an @ in front of a name the person they will get a notification.

Hi @cappy. Feel your pain. I've also just got myself booked for some counselling to help with coping strategies. My husband has bipolar and i can't remember my normal life. Wondering why I've taken so long to get help for ME. Chatting and venting here has helped too. Take care
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @cappy
How are you going?
Darcy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance