Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Not my 'story' - it's my nightmare.

@chibam   She's very informed, isn't she?  Calls it exactly like it is.  And, as far as I am concerned, she mirrors my sentiments exactly.  Especially as regards 'diagnosis'.  

People seem to think that a diagnosis is what they should aim for and then, if they are medicated, all will be well.   That is so misinformed.

People shouldn't be treated for their 'diagnosis' - they should be treated for their pain and the cause of it.  That requires an entirely different field of understanding and expertise.  Anyone can 'diagnose'.  It takes great skill to treat and cure.

@chibam   I have just read this.  Fabulous!  For anyone interested in learning what is actually going on in psychiatry - please take the time to read this article.

https://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/238798/sub044-mental-health.pdf

I want to apologize for telling you to 'stop it' @chibam.  Don't ever 'stop it'!  You are quite right.  I was wrong.  Thankyou for the links to Dr. Niall McLaren and Dr. Paula Caplan.  They are fabulous fighters for corrections to this disgraceful 'profession'.  

My blood boils when I read some posts on the Lived Experience Forum.  How did people's lives and mental health get into that situation without an almost total dereliction of duty by all those who hold positions of responsibility in the field of mental health - in fact, of the medical profession in general?

What a SHAM!

Hi @Historylover 

Yes, people have had awful experiences in the MH system/with Psychiatrists but each professional is different and there are professionals who have integrity, do their best, try to help people who are struggling with MH issue, and make a positive impact on those that they are treating.  I see that you have respect for some psychiatrists like Dr. Niall McLaren and I would hope that he is a good example of one of these professionals. 

Mika

@Historylover wrote:

@chibam   I have just read this.  Fabulous!  For anyone interested in learning what is actually going on in psychiatry - please take the time to read this article.

https://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/238798/sub044-mental-health.pdf

As a matter of fact, I believe that was actually the report that alerted me to Dr. Mclaren's existance.

@Historylover wrote:

I want to apologize for telling you to 'stop it' @chibam.  Don't ever 'stop it'!  You are quite right.  I was wrong. 

No you weren't. As you say, fighting to fix what's wrong is important; but you were also right when you said that we can't allow these things to consume us. I tend to get worked up over these things and that helps no one - least of all myself.

You are right. We have to make sure that we don't hurt ourselves during our efforts to fic the system.

@Mika   Yes, people certainly have had awful experiences in the mental health system - some have lost their lives, others their sanity, others have suffered ongoing medical issues, damage to their health from medication and 'treatments', financial burdens beyond their ability to pay, others suffer such utter despair in their desperate attempts to find someone with sufficient understanding and expertise to help them that they are rendered suicidal. Do you feel that simply acknowledging that fact is sufficient?  Mere platitudes?

Do you have unresolved mental health issues which are deteriorating while being treated with ongoing - usually increasing or ever-changing - medication, ECT, expensive consultations, lack of compassion and understanding - being treated as a mere money spinner because those who are supposed to have oversight of the health system - especially the mental health system - simply go through the motions, because the system is so broken they lack the insight and expertise to understand its vast failures sufficiently to fix it?  Are you treated with indifference in your despair, are you locked in to the system, lost in the system - while you hear some say that some people are doing their best to help the people they are treating.  Or are you book learned and experience and insight poor?

You say you would hope that Dr. Niall McLaren is a good example of one of these professionals.  I would hope that you take the time to read some of his articles and watch some of the youtube videos of Dr. Paula Caplan.  You will learn that there is so  much wrong in the system that it is criminal that there are those who can turn a blind eye to it. 

You say that some "have integrity, do their best, try to help people with MH issues  and make positive impact on those that they are treating". 

How very INADEQUATE!  How very inadequate that it is so FEW!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance