Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: anxiety and travel especially after covid has changed things

hopefully I replied back to everyone

Thank you @LostAngel for your kind words acknowledging that you appreciated my suggestions. I am feeling quite fragile and useless at the moment, so it means a lot. I am so glad that you now feel you will be ok.

Just re-read your original post and noted your worries about directions and detours. This has been a worry for me too especially in unfamiliar cities. I find it useful to look up the route before I go, so the road and place names are more familiar. Sometimes I even look at Google Street view of important  intersections so I can recognise the landmarks. I don't know what state you are in, but in Qld RACQ often lists road closures so you can be prepared for them. Perhaps your family or friends can advise you of expected detours. I have an app on my phone that gives verbal directions of the route & it will interupt the music to give me those details. But sometimes I have had difficulties with my phone/internet and want a paper copy of map/directions. I also give myself permission to pull over and check that I am on the right track. I often get anxious about whether I have missed a turn, so rather than let that anxiety build up, I stop and check and then less anxious.

Sometimes it feels like I do a lot of preparation for a trip, but it is worth it to feel less anxious.

Best wishes

Thank you again @CrazyChick Heart Ive looked up the route and thankfully have a GPS so fingers crossed that it helps with detours ect,tried to also have a bit of time today to just relax a bit,The trip is tomorow which gives both a happy yet slightly worried feeling,the weather is also going to be a high of around mid 30 degrees so will make sure I drink lots of water,I plan to have a light brekky in the morning as that helps to make me feel slightly more happy behind the wheel,thanks everyone Heart  I may post during the trip if needed,stay safe everyoneSmiley HappyHeart

Thanks @Rosie93 for the tag 😊 @LostAngel, on the driving front, for me, I find driving a kind of forced exercise in mindfulness because I have to pay pretty much complete attention to what's happening on the road and managing the car-if I'm going a way where I'm not as familiar with the area, I'll take my sat nav so all I need to do is follow what it tells me. It's definitely anxiety provoking though- I can still remember my instructor sitting next to me and saying 'composure, composure, composure' after a small fumble when I was learning once, so I use that kind of like my mantra now if I feel my anxiety starting to get a little up there- even saying it out loud sometimes. Rosie's got a great idea in terms of taking a break every so often on the way too, and I also try to get a really good night sleep the day before a big trip.

For me, driving gives me a real sense of control too, because I'm the one driving the car, so I can pull over if I need to and do anything and everything I need to.

Good on you for thinking and planning ahead like this- that often helps me! There's some great suggestions from others here- I like the idea of music too, but I encourage you to do whatever you need to & feels right for you. I hope you enjoy the trip! 😊   

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance