Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Art for Healing

Yes please, this is a lovely idea. 

Re: Art for Healing - HEALING SYMBOLS ACTIVITY

@hanami hi love

Are we sharing our art or are we just doing it for ourselves x

You're welcome to share your art if you'd like @Christheart - I'm keen to see it! 

As long as there's no identifying information, or anything else that breaches guidelines (e.g. graphic content) our members are welcome to share art, photos, anything they like. 

Hi @Christheart 

Yes I'd love to see it!!! Of course only if you feel comfortable about sharing.

Warmest wishes

Hanami

A new activity!

hanami_3-1692250620920.jpeg

Animal Guides

Benefits

Increases self-awareness, develops emotional resilience, and assists in identifying individual strengths.

Drawing animal images helps stimulate inspiration and comfort. But most importantly, the animals you choose to draw provide insights and important messages about yourself. A drawing of an animal can signify who you are in the moment or who you might become. Each animal has strengths and characteristics that you can relate to.

Steps:

1.   Take some time to choose three animals. The first animal should represent your physically (how you move or look), the second one should represent you emotionally (how you feel), and the last one should represent you cognitively (how you think).

1. Use the pencil to draw the three animals on a sheet of paper. Don’t get wrapped up in trying to draw the animals perfectly. Be creative and draw the animals as you see or feel fit. If you need help, try using an image of the animal for inspiration.

1. Add the environments in which the animals live (mountains, valleys, jungles etc). Multiple habitats can be captured on the same piece of paper.

1. Now that your pencil sketch is complete, trace over the pencil lines with a black pen.

1. Use coloured pencils (or whatever you like) to colour in the image.

Questions for Discussion

Discuss each animal's strengths. How do their strengths relate to you?

How can you use these strengths to help you cope with a life situation

How can the animals you’ve chosen live together?

I have also done art therapy myself. I never could have guessed that it was good for me. I didn't even know what art therapy was before I did it! I remember my art therapist telling me that is a lot of different things, it's music, it is film, it is sculpture, dance, literature, illustration (drawing). I knew that I was not interested in drawing at all, but I would certainly like to do some writing. I remember saying to my art therapist "art is a lot of things, I reckon!". Since doing my art therapy course I have continued to write, I even started writing a novel and have already finished writing a short story. And I continue to write poetry! Here's a poem for you I wrote only today!

My heart was crying, but now it smiles

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, a new life for me!

Once my heart was enveloped in darkness

Then the golden light — and Golden Order — returned once more!

My heart is not without its master; we have not grieved alone

I am not a robot, I do not possess a heart made of stone 

As I like to say, what goes up must come down! 

Sadness, despair, pointlessness, absurdity — there’s no need to frown

You’ve heard of it before, it’s called gravity! 

Sadness, depression, misery, anxiety, trepidation — why, my friend; all of these things dance to gravity’s music! 

What goes up, must come down!

@hanami 

Do we select our own spirit animals or is there a process behind the selection?

Are we to draw or create something using this animal?

Is there space for additional creative expression?

Hi @Arbie_wun 

Thanks so much for your questions! You can select any animal you like. And yes you can be as free as you like re creative expression.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

Hanami

Hey there @Jake63 

I must apologise as I only just saw your post with the poem today! It's just wonderful. I'm so glad you shared that. I love any creative expression. I believe it helps us with our emotions so much.

Have you been well? Haven't see you for a while.

I miss our chats but it's great you haven't needed to be on the forums too!

Talk soon

Hanami

Hey @hanami,

Very lovely to hear from you.

I have been having many good days and just as many bad days. I am still fighting the good fight to stay on top of my depression. It has been very hard and very challenging. I am looking forward to seeing my support worker tomorrow morning.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance