Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Keep__Going
Casual Contributor

First Time Poster

Hi all

I'm a 28 yr old male and have developed some complex mental health issues and was admitted to hospital earlier this year. Now out of hospital finding myself to be quite a burden on my parents, having quite bad mood swings,neurological issues, poor memory, constant flashbacks and ruminations of past trauma.

I guess looking for a bit of support on this forum

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: First Time Poster

@Keep__Going 

Just a quick welcome.

Hang around, I'm sure you'll find support here 🙂

Some of your symptoms are not too familiar to me, but I'm sure others will step up.

@Keep__Going 

Hi Keep_Going

Saw your “First time Poster” post and I am pleased to be able to welcome you to this forum.

As you are probably aware, we endeavour to maintain anonymity, so that we can discuss whatever issues that we face, to whatever depth that we wish or feel appropriate to meet our needs.

You mentioned complex mental health issues. Would you mind giving the forum members a little bit of background to recent events and an idea of where you are at now.

I notice your concern about feeling that you are a burden to your parents and you have covered quite a list of symptoms.

I rejoined the forum in February this year and have found the members to be understanding, caring and supportive. I hope, that after a short time, you will feel as comfortable talking about the issues that you face in the same way that I have.

Looking forward to 'speaking' with you more on the forum

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Calling Attention of Other Members to Our Message or Post

{Tagging}

To answer or "tag" a particular member, you can click on the “@” symbol on your keyboard. A drop-down menu will show the people who have replied to your post. You can select one, or as many as you would like to “tag” (no inverted commas). {As I have done with your Forum name and the CC: below for other members}

CC:     @StuF @Clawde 

Hi @Keep__Going 

Welcome to the forums, I am pretty new here too.

I don't know enough about your situation to be sure but I feel like being a burden to anyone is just your brain playing tricks on you. It's a reflection about how you feel about yourself and your resulting self esteem.

Looking forward to getting to know you

Meggle

Welcome @Keep__Going - great name!

Coming out of hospital is as hard as going in imo.

Give yourself time. The best thing you can do for your parents is your own self care. You are worth it!

I agree with @Oaktree your brain can fear the worst and it's not always accurate. Have you heard of negativity bias? It's about how we are wired for survival in a hostile world, but that doesn't always serve us well and can really colour our thinking.

Thanks very much for the message HenryX.

My issues came to ahead around November last year. Had been battling with an number of issues including an exercise addiction, some eating issues, my sexuality, the isolation of living alone in lockdown and work stress leading up to this.

Stayed with my parents until January before finally going into a clinic. My stress have were bad enough that I now have physical symptoms in/around my brain, including dripping sensations/nerve pain etc. My thought patterns are also very jumbled, often have difficulty speaking, and have random flashbacks. Each day is tough but I'm hopeful things can improve with the right support.

Thanks yeah that negative bias is a big thing to work on at the moment.

@Keep__Going 

You might be interested in the Pride Month event taking place on this forum( it's pride month - join the discussion here) (wish I knew how to link it). Just click on Daisydreamers' name linked below ( the green one) that will take you to their profile where you can easily find the post.
It's an LBGTQI+ thing that poses a new question you can answer each Monday @Daisydreamer posted about it a couple of days ago. 

Meggle

@Keep__Going 

Hi Keep_Going,

From your description, I understand why you have referred to the issues that you are facing as complex. I wonder, have you been given any indication of diagnosis, or is that still not determined. Again it would be helpful to know so that connection can be made with the people on the forum who are most familiar with your particular set and type of circumstances.

In fact, you may receive support, guidance and assistance from anyone on the forum. However, it helps initially to speak with people who are familiar with the particular area of concern with which you are dealing. Then you will find that other people will offer support, care, and non-directive guidance from a range of different perspectives.

I think that, from the responses that you have received already, you can feel assured that whatever people have to offer will always be given with care and concern for you, and for how that support may be received by you.

It might be helpful for you to have a look around the forum, so that you will be able to see the types of interactions that take place here. The forum is completely open so that whatever is out there is there for anyone to see.

That is the beauty of anonymity. We can all be open with each other about our feelings, circumstances, wishes, concerns fears and hopes.

I am not keen to make assumptions, from my point of view, about what may be most useful and helpful for you, without some guidance and direction from you.

I invite you to left-click on my forum name in blue (being @HenryX ). This opens my profile and a list of the content of messages between me and all of the other people with whom I have corresponded since reactivating my forum connection in February this year. Left-click on any heading beginning with Re:

eg. “Re: First Time Poster”

• this gives you access to a specific response that I have given in that particular thread.

• Scrolling up or down will give you the rest of the conversations with all the correspondents in that particular thread.

In like fashion you are able to view any other members correspondence through their profile, by left-click on their forum name.

Some messages will be short, some longer. I hope that this overview will give you the opportunity of knowing how you will feel about interacting with other members on the forum. I certainly would like to feel that you will be reassured enough to feel completely comfortable.

If you have any questions you can ask me or anyone else. If the answer is not immediately available, it will be very quickly offered by another member.

I can say that, initially, I had some difficulty working my way around the forum site, but you are younger and will probably pick it up more quickly than I did.

I look forward to 'speaking' with you more during the next few days.

With My Very Best Wishes

HenryX

Calling Attention of Other Members to Our Message or Post

{Tagging}

To answer another members response, or "tag" and alert a particular member, you can click on the “@” symbol on your keyboard. An on-screen drop-down menu will show the people who have replied to your post. You can select one, or as many as you would like to “tag” (no inverted commas).As I have done with your Forum name, above and the CC: below, for other members.

CC:  @Oaktree  @frog @StuF 

Hi @Keep__Going I'm glad you've come here to get some support. 

When my mind tell me I'm a burden to someone in my life, I have found it helpful to ask them. This way it opens a conversation to check the facts of whether I am negatively impacting on them, or if it's just my own thoughts. By checking it out and asking a question, I sometimes find that I'm not a "burden" at all. They are just being supportive. If, they are struggling a little with helping me, it provides an opportunity for us both to have a discussion about how they could support me, while taking care of themselves too. I find it helpful to just ask the question. They appreciate the honesty and openness, and my willingness to care for their feelings too. 

I hope my response has been helpful to you. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance