Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: The Community Garden :)

thanks @eudemonism Heart

how are you today my friend

@Shaz51  i got mental problems that don't seem to be going anywhere. Example. Avoidant personality disorder. Psychotic depression. And it's detrimental to my wellbeing . I've had these problems since i can remember . Not sure who to turn to for help or what to do about it ...

hello @CheerBear , @eudemonism , @MDT , @Peri , @Former-Member , @Teej , @outlander , @Gazza75 

my little corner is getting more plants in there

soon i will have to find some bigger pots to repot them inSmiley LOL

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMG_20180205_163203_756.jpg

IMG_20180205_162520.jpg

IMG_20180205_164039_308.jpg

IMG_20180205_163135_481.jpg

all these are in bloom again in my yard , @Adge , @Appleblossom , @Former-Member ,, @Maggie , @MaggieM ,

Looks amazing @Shaz51 .  You and Mr Shaz should be super proud 🙂

nice one @Shaz51

Recently my sister and me made a compost bin that we bought from ALDI for my mum as she is a keen gardener.

Today I put some more waste in it and saw slugs in it. Gross. But then I googled it and it's actually good because they break down the organic waste lol. There were flies in it too I think. Very moist

Do you know much about compost shaz?

Do you know much about compost -- no not much @MDT 

have worms in there is the best

and also to mix it with a fork to air it

@Peri, @eudemonism , @Gazza75 , @CheerBear , @Smc 

@MDT, too moist isn't good. It's the bacteria in a compost bin that really do the "heavy lifting" when it comes to breaking it down. If it's too wet, not enough air gets through the mix, and anerobic ("we don't like air") bacteria breed up. They're the ones that are responsiblle for making the smelly gasses that come off a compost heap. (Food scraps inevitably smell a bit, but if it gets really rotten-egg stinky, something's wrong.)

The right level of moisture is about as wet as a well squeezed out facewasher. Damp, not soggy. At that level, aerobic ("we like air") bacteria breed up, and they leave behind little or no odour. Too dry and nothing much breeds up, and it doesn't break down.
Forking over compost is a good way of getting enough air in and stopping it from getting too soggy. They other thing that works is adding a layer of dry matter every now and then. Straw, dry leaves, pine needles. This creates openings through the pile to keep things healthy.

If the bacteria are really active, the compost will heat up, and any worms or slugs in it will get out or die. ("Hot" is good for decomposition, but not for the soil critters.) If there's not enough going on for the heap to get hot, then the worms will get to work. Slugs are ok-ish, but less than ideal, because they eventually move on to the garden plants instead.

c486558126cbe3305e47c2c280fa5ad4.jpg

@Shaz51
So I know something about gardening? Cool. Haha.

Yeah I think there will be worms soon. It's not actually on the ground. It's in a rotational box so every now and then we need to shift it about.
Should break down soon though I think.

Nice @Smc
Its not too wet. Damp is what it is at. It doesn't stink which is also good. Not rotten egg anyway.
I'm sure my mum knows a thing or two about it though so she can watch over it.

Thanks though my friend @Smc

Good tips
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance