Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Panic Attacks

@pie 

Hello Pie.

Have just been rereading your posts and the responses of others. They reminded of my own experiences with anxiety attacks.

My biggest trigger is overstimulation. I can't do crowds. This ironic since when I was performing I was playing to crowds 10,000 and sometimes more depending on the event.

Even 100 punters in a small room was very crowded. 

Up on a stage you are elevated from them And it does'nt touch you. Which is cool.

Between sets though was a problem. Green rooms are few and far between in the music biz so often you took your breaks in the room. Me , I would go sit in my car. It's only today that I have figured out why. 

Little public contact. A space that is controllable by me.

I don't do theme parks or exhibitions or even water parks. Shopping centre at rush hour are no option for me.

When the attack begins I jump irritable, and jumpy. If I remain I get frightened and the tremors start. I get physical and verbal tics. sorta like tourettes with the violent movements. Hypervigilance and paranoia are a part of it as well.

So in the end I embarrassed and shameful and very very stressed out. Physically my heart goes nuts. Hi blood pressure, tachicardia. it just horrendous.

And the worst thing? Because I must avoid these circumstances I can't take my 12yo daughter anywhere cool. It's heartbreaking. I feel profound guilt. And to me it's justifiable guilt because

If I was a decent father I'd do these thing for her anyway.

But in the long run, I need to be stable. And available to her. I also don't want to take out my symptoms on her. Which has happened. I've been irritable with her for no reason and that hurts most of all.

So I guess if I'm saying anything. It's take control over what you can reasonably control.Learning what the triggers are takes a long time. With practise you learn what to avoid.

And remember that if you're in a situation you can't contol it's a symptom of what's happened, not the cause. 

There's no shame. No guilt. No reason to hurt yourself any more than you are hurt already.

I wish knowledge and peace

Hope endures

Rick

Re: Panic Attacks

Hi Rick Thank you for Telling me your Story, You Truly are an Amazing Person And A Wonderful Father, Wow Your A Musician, How Cool. I love 80's Music, This is going to sound Strange But How do you slow down your Breathes when you Feel A Panic Attack Coming on as I feel Like I cant Breathe and need Help any Tips, It would be Great, I think your doing a Wonderful Job and I hope you get Through this, Have a Wonderful Xmas, Take Care Please Pass on My Best to Everyone and Xmas Wishes to Everyone Thank You for being There for me and Everyone, You Deserve Medals. Or Statues.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance