Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Roller coaster

@wellwellwellnez 

Hi there, 

I've been on this injection for ten years and embarrassingly it's taken me this long to work out which days I'm consistently affected the most.  I just spoke to a chemist and she said the aim of these medications is to not create highs and lows but as consistent as possible release.  She also said that as I've been on the medication this long and it's still having this affect than it is likely caused by how my body metabolises it.  I'm at the G.P waiting room now.  Really hoping tablets are going to work out better for me. 

Hey @lala2 !

Welcome to the forums, I am so glad that you are already finding it really helpful and that you have already gotten so much support on this post! I hope that the forums becomes a safe space for you to share how you are feeling and to get any support that you may need. Thank you for sharing your journey and how you are feeling with us! 

In terms of your schizophrenic and psychotic episodes, they can be really challenging to navigate but it seems like you are keeping tags on when they are occurring and how best you respond to the medication prescribed for you which is really good. I did just want to normalise how okay it is to talk to your doctor about how your current medication is making you feel (the injections) and talk about possible other brands/ types/ tablet form medication that might be available for you to try. 

I have had to try about a dozen different medications over the many years to make sure that the one that I am taking is the one that is helping me the most, but also making me feel the best. I've definitely been on medications that have made me feel really sick and nauseous, and really exhausted. It might have helped my condition but it ended up hindering me physically as I felt like there were most days that I couldn't even get out of bed, or I didn't feel like myself at all. 

So with that said, please find comfort in the fact that it is so normal to speak to your health professional about how you are really feeling being on a certain medication. It is important that the medication is working for you, but even more important (mental health wise) that it is making you feel the best you can with the circumstances. 

All the best, 

Amber22

@amber22 

Hi there, sorry for the very late reply.  Im not game to change medications as the fall out of me having another psychosis is too great.  When i was hospitalised the last time they tried me on newer types of anti psychotics that are supposed to have less side affects but unfortunately they didnt help.  I know there is probably lots to choose from but Im a single mum with a good job that I dont want to lose again. 

I have switched to tablets now and im on a very low dose but it seems to be enough.  I am definitely sleeping in longer in the mornings and finding it hard to get up, the rest of the day I just feel a mild tiredness contrasted by feeling bright and energetic for an hour or two in the afternoon at which point I remember to take my next tablet.  I think this is a better solution than the injection for me.  Its a bit sad that I have to be mildly tired all the time but I at least can function pretty well.  Ill see how i go at work when I go back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your message.  

Hey there @lala2 

No need to apologise, I know how busy the end of the year gets!!

I totally understand about you not wanting to switch medications at the moment, and wanting to rather stay on track with some other aspects of your life. I am glad that you're able to be taking the tablet form and at a lower dosage for the time being, even though it makes you feel very tired.

Are you finding that these tablets are better than the injections for you? 

Hi @amber22 

Yeah I do think this is a better option than the injection.  

The injection was too extreme over the month with high highs and lows lows.  I haven't tried working yet though because I've been on holidays so it will be interesting to see how I go with that. 

I'm glad to hear that it is better than the injection, I hope that it is good while you are working too 🙂 @lala2 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@lala2 I am in the exact same situation regarding a depot injection while waiting for my psychiatrist to allow me back on an oral tablet at a lower dose. I completely empathise. Hang in there. If you are compliant on tablets ask your psychiatrist to transition you back on oral medication.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@lala2 I used to take my tablet at night to avoid daytime drowsiness.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance