Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Q&A Info Session // Ask your NDIS questions here! // Mon 12 - Fri 16 June

I may be about to begin the process of applying to be registered for the NDIS. This is about to happen via my Phams support worker who will be something of an advocate for me in the process as far as I understand it. I also went to an early seminar on it, the focus was on physical disability. Because it's still new and just being rolled out where I am, it's also new to her. But the organisation she works for has been developing some knowledge base about it for some time. I think the focus in my case is going to be to register and go through some process, not so much for now but for possible difficult times with my mental illness (bipolar) that may or (with any luck may not) arise in the future. I have a long history of being incapable in real life ways and am only semi 'functional' in those ways now. But there is probably enough support in my life at present in other ways. Best wishes to everyone with it.

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for your great questions today!

We are compiling a bit of a cheat sheet on the NDIS to answer some of the basic "What is the NDIS?" questions with links to some info. Carers QLD - The Local Area Coordination Organisation will get back to you about how they are involved and answer all of your specific questions.

We want you to have the most accurate answers, so they will get back to you all with in 24 hours each day the forum is open. As a moderator, I'll be helping facilitate getting the questions to them, and then back to you. Also to encourage your questions and support where I can. 

Please continue the conversation over the next week, and then we can all learn about the NDIS - the National Disability Insurance Scheme together.

Thanks again,  

@JazzHands - you win the best names competition.

@Former-Member Shucks - thanks! Smiley Happy

How does mental illness fit in with the NDIS? Currently all therapy and support I receive is either through a mental health care plan (Medicare) or purely out of my own pocket. Is this likely to change under NDIS?

@lapses @Former-Member heya just responding regarding your contact details being sent to the NDIA, i believe there was legislation requesting this to happen if you were already a participant in some support services, the programs you were may have had to oblige with this.

:S

yes @JasJac that's how i understand it too

@NikNik @JazzHands

Amazing topic!!!

In NSW, there was a lot of information from the Hunter trial site that the access process for the NDIS was incredibly stressful and draining to potential participants, to the point that people were admitted to hospital. i have seen a lot of stories on social media from potential participants stating the same experience now that NDIS is being rolled out in their area. 

Question: Given the experiences from the Hunter why has there not been the marketed message and strategies suggested to help potential participants to be resilient and flourish during the access process? ie let people know that a difficult time is coming up, from their life experiences of getting through difficult times what can people do to keep themselves safe and ok during the access process? 

@NikNik @JazzHands

Question:

Exactly what functional assessments can a credentialed mental health nurse do to form part of the access evidence? Please list ie Honos

🙂

thanks!!

@JasJac I'll leave the question to Carers Queensland - but I think your comment is really pertinent. 

We have many people living with mental illness with NDIS plans in our Toowoomba area and while they say they liked support to go through the process, and there were a few hoops to jump through - many are getting many more hours of support than they were previously eligible for (due to previous government contract limitations). These include support to get out and enjoy and connect to the community.

Often people who are having a great time aren't as outspoken on social media!

There are some great video stories of sucesses on the NDIS website though - you can search their website for 'videos'. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance