Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Shaz51
Community Guide

Chronic pain and Mental health

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Chronic pain and Mental health

Brilliant idea @Shaz51 thank you for continuing the conversation here. 

Last night's guest @Oshun_Blu shared some incredible resources and information about living with Chronic Pain and the avenues in & around getting support.

Was there any take away's that you took from the live chat @Shaz51 ?

For me I think it's where we might be building more awareness & understanding around how we as a society can be more considerate to people experiencing chronic pain. 
Found this image which I think says a lot.

Chronic Pain.png

I really like that image you shared @flybluebird  and thank you for continuing this topic @Shaz51  i dropped off last night sorry. 

i like what you said about increasing awareness and understanding. I think about the looks that I get when I need to park in a ‘senior or parenting’ car spot. I don’t use the disabled parking spots cause I don’t have a permit. But the other 2 spots you don’t need a permit for, they are a luxury. Some days I have pain or so very little energy that I need to use them. I get looks from people. There certainly needs to be more awareness of invisible illnesses. 

Missed the Topic Tuesday last night @Shaz51 as we had no internet all afternoon and part of the evening here in Tassie - some dufus dug into one cable then another a second one in Vic and cut the state off completely ...who would have thought it would happen twice at the same time ...but it was kind of nice to know you would have some peace without emails, phone calls or messages ...down side - some tv stations down too lol

@flybluebird @Shaz51, I am disappointed I missed this topic. It would be great to keep this conversation going. There is such a strong connection between mental and physical health and pain, both real and apparent. As a carer, it can be frustrating dealing with what appears to be hypochondria at times. I must remember to be more understanding and listen. I would feel so guilty if it ever turned out like the ‘boy who cried wolf’!  We have frequent flyers at the emergency department!

Hello @Boo13 , @Zoe7 , @Bow , @flybluebird , @Rhye 

That image is Sooo true @flybluebird 

I have told a couple of family members  and they have responded "why " !!

@Shaz51 @Zoe7 @Bow @flybluebird @rhye

We can’t always predict the responses we get from others.  I find it fascinating how we all see the world from different perspectives!  I suppose this diversity is what keeps things interesting!

Very true @Boo13 

And as carers to know when to help our loved ones even though they say they are ok , but to know when to step in 

And also with our own pains too 

@Shaz51 You couldn’t have said it better! My husband and son both have chronic pain and I tend to put myself last. I must remember that as a cater, I am no good to them if I don’t look after myself!

@Boo13  it is soo easy for us as carers to put ourselves  last my friend xx xxx

Hope you are physically ok too 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance