Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Hubby21_Dad23
Casual Contributor

28yo Son suffering bipolar disorder

I have been reading some of your stories about your battles and must say I am humbled by the strength shown by all of you on some of the issues you face, often alone. This has prompted me to write here probably more so to vent my own problems with my son. I am a 56yo man with an amazing wife and 3 beautiful children, a 30yo daughter, 28yo son and 26yo daughter. My eldest daughter lives on her own close by, but my son and youngest daughter still live at home. I feel we are extremely lucky to have a loving family unit.

I would like to tell the story of my son who has diagnosed bipolar disorder that we first noticed when he was about 6yo. At this early stage, we did not realise what it was, but he often struggled at school with bullying, but as he grew older he had the usual growing up issues of most children and teenagers. During his school years, he saw many doctors and ultimately it was a naturopath that finally made any difference. It was not until he was about 16yo that we had our first major ‘ordeal’ where his mother found him. Fortunately she found him before he was able to do anything serious to himself. After many attempts we were able to get him into see a pdoc that was able to give him some tools to deal with life as he saw it, and eventually diagnosed the depression with bipolar disorder. He tried many different medications over the years all of which just numbed his thoughts. He is a very bright young man that could achieve so much if he could just think straight. Thankfully he has an extremely strong and resilient mother who is very close to him, that he will sit and talk to when things get dark. She has done this for so many years that I don’t know how she finds the strength, but I know this is what has kept him alive. As a father I have generally buried myself in my work, probably contributing to my sons problems. Not that I haven’t been there for him, or my wife and daughters, I have on many occasions, but I am just saying that my wife takes on the brunt of most issues as they come up.

My son has since had 2 other ‘major’ suicide attempts. As I mentioned he is very bright, but because he spends most of his time in his room, he researches things to the n’th degree and is extremely well versed on many topics including MH treatments. In his second suicide attempt he took off in his car and we were so worried as he wouldn’t answer his phone, we had no idea where he was. We found his suicide note on his computer and called the police. The police could not locate him. His girlfriend at the time managed to eventually get onto him. He was many miles away from home, but fortunately for us he did not have the guts to go through with it. He finally came home and the police were very good and agreed not to call the CAT team.

His most recent attempt was about two years ago, where I found him when I returned early from a dinner with my wife. A very confronting experience when it is your own son there with such a well thought out plan.

My ever strong wife has now resigned herself to the fact that our son is “not long for this world”. She has on one of her many long discussions with our son, even had the guts to tell him that she gives him permission to take his life. This was in my eyes the most amazing and gutsy thing I have ever seen, but it probably saved my son at the time from another suicide attempt. I cannot accept that he is not long for this world, but I truly respect my wife for taking this position after all she has been through.

As I said at the start, I am just venting, but another reason is probably be a desperate attempt to see if anyone can help with our current situation. Our son is generally a very caring and calm person. He has never been violent in any of his events and he always puts on a “good front” to anyone he meets. He has had a few girlfriends over the years but does not have one at the moment. Always a tumultuous time when the breakup occurs. In the last year or so he has cut off his friends. He does have a supermarket job at the moment but I feel that is hanging in the balance now due to recent non-attendance. He has racked up some credit card debt and owes money on car finance that he cannot afford. He smokes (only started in last three years) was also smoking pot, but we banned it from the house so he has weaned off in last two weeks (luckily he still respects us enough to do this).

Getting back to the issue at hand, he recently had a big fight with his younger sister at home. This was the a real verbal slinging match where both said things they now regret and my daughter left and stayed with her older sister. I guess the family stress has taken its toll. Now our son is very angry, but the worst part is that he appears to have “given up”. He wont speak about things like he normally would except to say that there is nothing he can do anymore. He just didn’t go to work today. I took the day off my work to help my wife, but he wont speak to either of us. We ask him to go seek help from his pdoc or even his GP that he likes, but he just refuses to go. I even called the local MH unit who gave the usual response that if he is not “at risk” there is nothing they can do.

After all these years, my wife and I both agree that he is not currently suicidal, as we know the signs now and are ever vigilant keeping watch for them. We are just concerned at his current unusual mood. Even though he tells us there is nothing left for him to try, but he just doesn’t have the guts to “push the button” we don’t feel he will try anything at this stage.

My wife is exhausted and emotionally drained, my daughters have “had enough” and I just want to make my family feel happy again. Or am I just being an idealist?

I guess I am just asking if there is anyone out there that has any ideas on how I can make him see that there is so much for him to live for, or perhaps how to convince him to get some help.

I apologise for the long rant, but writing this has helped me anyway. Thank you.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: 28yo Son suffering bipolar disorder

Hi @Hubby21_Dad23

I am SleepyPanda a forum moderator, welcome to the forum, thank you for sharing your experiences.

I am linking @Fishbowl who's story can be read here and @Kkmum who's story can be read here who both have similar stories to your own.

I hope you all can share all your stories together and gain insights and strength from each other.

Take Care

SleepyPanda

@Hubby21_Dad23 Hi Hubby21_Dad23 you haven't mentioned if your son is on medication or seeing a psychiatrist? I presume he is or maybe I just missed it in your post. It is very important to get the medications right and to have a trusted psychiatrist and psychologist.

My son's mental illness broke our famiy apart but there was violence involved and you say that with your son the only one he attacks is himself ... I hate to say this but I would suggest you and your wife should sit down and work out a plan to have your son move out, with your son included. It will be good for him to take responsibility for himself, give him an opportunity to stand on his own two feet and get the help he needs. I am not for one instant saying let him sink or swim what I am saying is he is no longer six and there is only so much you can do regarding his mental health. He has to start taking steps towards recovery. Baby steps but steps nonetheless.

You have to protect yourselves ... I am thinking of your wife and daughter here in particular.

Hi @SleepyPanda,

Thank you for linking those incredible stories. It amazes and scares me how prevalent MI is in the community, but it helps to see the stories of others in the same situation. Hopefully it also helps raise awareness so that something can be done to assist the struggling Health system.

I hope I can offer support to someone at some stage, but even being on these forums helps.

Thanks.

Hi @greenpea.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes my son is on very high dose AD as well as some others. He was prescribed by psychiatrist whom he will not return to see. GP keeps his scripts going. psychologist is also someone he will not see as he says "they all tell me the same thing, but nothing helps".

You are probably right in that he needs to stand on his own two feet. He has done it short term previously and now might be the time to get it going again.

The rest of my family need to be protected as you say, this is always on my mind.

Thanks again for your comments.

Hello @Hubby21_Dad23 and @Fishbowl

I care for my husband Mr Darcy who has been diagnosed with bipolar ii + more (less highs but low lows). He has attempted (prior to his diagnosis) following a long acute period.

Can I ask two things  (1)  Is your loved one being treated in the public mental health system and (2) have they given permission for you to be informed?

If the answer to these questions is YES then the public health system has an obligation to you as the carer.  There is a plethora of evidence that shows if a patient has a good family support that the outcome is a lot better.   If the answer is no, you can still provide information, this talk explains how you can do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRO0-JXuFMY

Being a spouse and not a parent, still brings communication challenges/

Boundaries (relationship rules that protect the heart) are very necessary in relation to self care and as to what is expected of a patient - one of the boundaries I have is that my husband will take treatment as prescribed and will only make a change in consultation with his pdoc.  Having said that I have read up extensively on medications and the evidence for different classes of drugs in the treatment of bipolar and I listen to and advocate for Mr D.  He too has felt that a lot of the drugs do not work (or indeed made him feel worse) and we have been able to reduce the drug burden substantially and are in the process of trying to taper him off another of the drugs.   Understanding the disorder and its treatments made a heap of difference to us

Hubby-Dad and Fishbowl,  there are a lot of very reliable websites that give treatment alogrithms from a number of sources, if you google "bipolar treatment algorithm" in the images section, you will find easy to follow flow charts, sites such as this one also offer paper articles on treatment guidelines: https://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/guidelines/bipolar-disorder-guidelines/ 

Can I encourage you both to perhaps have a look at one or two of these with your loved one, letting them know that you are on their side and that you will help advocate for them to help them to take responsibility for the management of their health.  A mood chart is definitely a good starting spot.

Drugs are only part of the equation with bipolar - just as a diabetic takes meds but also needs to watch diet and exercise etc. so it is with mental health, sleep, diet, exercise, psychotherapy all have their place.

Here are some really good talks about bipolar that might be of help to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHGf82yy33Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mdopKvBqNA

There are some really good websites to such as this one:

https://www.bphope.com/

Darcy

Hi @Former-Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all this information. I hope Mr Darcy is in a good place at the moment.

I wish we had set some similar boundaries as well. The only one we had was that he cannot have weed or drugs in the house. Although in his current mood I doubt they would mean anything to him.

It has been a rough couple of days here. My son has totally given up, wont talk to us, refuses any help, has just completely taken himself off his meds cold turkey. It must be playing havoc with his mind, like talking to a teenager again. He has now lost his job, and sits in his room trying to sleep. He does say he just wants to end it all, but does not have the guts. All told we have seen many times when he comes off a high to a real low, but never anything like this, where he just doesn't care about anything. He appears angry with himself that he can't end it all. I have even been trying to provoke him to get an angry response, results in a shrug and do whatever you have to.

We are waiting for a call from the CAT team now, just left in limbo with no clue what to do next.

Cheers.

Hey @Hubby21_Dad23

The feeling of desolation can be overwhelming, I remember saying to the pdoc that at the end of the day "Mr D was in God's hand" the pdoc said to me that he hoped in some way they could also help. The helplessness and powerlessness was increased with Mr D being on a treatment order (will not go into specifics due to forum guidelines).

But be assured there is hope, your son can come to a place if acceptance and an ability to take responsibility of managing his disorder.

This website really helped me (please don't be put off by the religious content), as a carer it helped me greatly. Mr D has not quite come to the place where he says he can live well in spite of his diagnosis but I firmly believe it and I live with the attitude he can.

https://freshhope.us/about-fresh-hope/

@Hubby21_Dad23

How did you go with CATT?

We have been speaking with them all day yesterday, but they have decided to take the softly, softly approach because he is not violent or "at risk". Expecting him to respond to calls and texts is ridiculous, even put them on speakerphone to him, but he is almost catatonic at the moment.

Frustrating for us, but we expect them to send the team out today. Apparently they are powerless without his consent, but we feel if we persist, they will eventually take him.

Thank you so much for thinking of us at this time @Former-Member, you are so thoughtful.

Kindest Regards.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance