Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Linny6162
Casual Contributor

My daughter is 18 has just been admitted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Suffers with anorexia.

Hi I have just registered as am in dire need to some support and reassurance. I live in the UK and my daughter is on a gap year in Australia but her weight has declined rapidly and yesterday she was admitted as she’s at a very crucial stage. Wondered if there was anybody there going through similar as a carer. Been through hell and back the last 5 years with this and she tends to progress then relapses and the goes through the same cycle again and again. But this is rock bottom now. And especially difficult as we are so far away. And she refuses to let us come and visit so we have to give her space and request her wishes. Incredibly difficult and so so sad. Heart broken but at least we know now she is in safe hands.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: My daughter is 18 has just been admitted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Suffers with anorexia.

Hi there @Linny6162

So sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling with an eating disorder and that you're so far away from her. That must be so hard for you! I'm wondering if you've ever attended any type of support group for carers? It sounds like you could do with some support from people or families who have gone through a similar experience. We have a helpline called Eating Disorders Victoria (EDV) which you can call too on 1300 550 236 or 9417 6598. 

There's also a service in the UK that addresses support for carers https://eating-disorders.org.uk/counselling/carers-help/ which you could have a look into! Please continue to utilize this forum though as there would certainly be others who have had a similar experience. 

Re: My daughter is 18 has just been admitted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Suffers with anorexia.

Hi - just checking in on you. How's your daughter doing? How are you doing?

Hi nice to hear from you.
She’s in the ED wing and confined to wheelchair and has 24/7 monitoring so she’s in safest hands. She seems very determined although we have been here many times before!! However she’s never deteriorated to this level. She misses the outside world but has plenty of friends over there that seem to be visiting her daily which gives me great comfort as we are so far away from her. We FaceTime every Saturday evening our time so Sunday morning Melbourne time. She looks absolutely horrific but spirits seem high and she’s getting all the help she needs. Who knows maybe this was meant to be as we don’t have such facilities over here so we have to take comfort from the fact that she’s in safe hands now. Still very very tough though as am desperate to hold her. And tell her all will be ok. And she’s in my thoughts 24/7. Not able to face going back to work just yet as I need to be on form and ready for people questions!! Baby steps xxx

Glad to hear she's getting the care she clearly needs and has visitors.

Returning to work is so difficult. Good luck with it when you do go back. It's so weird to feel like people care but life goes on.

Thinking of you x
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance