Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

I am not sure what else to do can anyone think of anything?

I am wondering if anyone here can think of anything because I am really not sure what to do and I have tried everything I can. I am having a really really very hard time and I have tried telling my psychiatrist multiple times that I am not coping and he doesn’t know what to do, my psychologist gave up and left me maybe 2 months ago and wouldn’t even try and help me find someone new and now I don’t have a psychologist and I have been searching online but can’t find anyone who deals with complex issues. My GP isn’t able to help, hospital wasn’t helpful it made things worse, meds don’t work for me and even if I do manage to find a psychologist I doubt I would be able to see them soon and the issues I have been having the psychologist has never been able to help with anyway.

I really don’t know what to do I am at the point where I cannot cope with anything and am not even sure how I am making it through each day. My eating disorder is really really bad and I keep hearing things and seeing things and I keep getting scared everyone around me is trying to hurt me, my ocd is constant and I can’t even take a step without doing something, I am having a lot of panic attacks and when I am not panicking I am crying I have lost my reason for staying alive and my whole uni degree has been completely ruined my family doesn’t understand and they are getting annoyed at me, my friends aren’t able to help and I don’t even feel real anymore I gave up everything to be able to do one thing and that is now gone. I don’t know what to do I have nobody left to contact to even try and get any help and I am genuinely feeling like I am not going to be able to keep doing this for much longer but I have exhausted all my options for help so now I don’t know what to do. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: I am not sure what else to do can anyone think of anything?

Hi @Eden1919 ,

I can relate in many ways. I, too, went to some "professionals" for help with my problems, but recieved none, and even a fair amount of abuse for my trouble.

The way I read your post, I get the impression that your problems are mainly with errant thoughts and/or feelings? Is that right? Is there anything (or more then one thing) in your life that might be at the heart of your anxieties & sadness, or does it all seem to be falling on you for no real reason?

Can you explain what help you want, precisely? What you want to happen in order to make things "right"?

I don't know a lot about degrees, but there seem to be heaps of ads on TV for these companies that allow you to get pretty much any degree you want online. Could that be of some assistance to you, re: your education worries?

@Eden1919  Hey Eden1919 I have been thinking about you lately and wondering if you were okish ..... obviously not.  I was talking with a up and coming psychologist the other day who was of the mind that meds have their place but should not be a forever thing. That with certain individuals there is hope to use mental tools to finally ditch the meds ....  gave me so much hope.  maybe this is what you need a young, fresh minded psychologist who is in it for the long haul .... dont give up they are out there but you will have to find them not the other way around.

In the meantime have you tried herbal approach?  when son2 was small we used fish oil, pro biotics etc and other types of vitamins which definately helped. It cannot hurt. Eating super healthy, walking etc also help to varying degrees. I use brahmi pills as well and I think they help when my brain is muddled.

Dont give up hun. It will take time but help is out there. Love pea xxx

@chibam  Online uni is not good for me I cannot focus enough to complete everything. Also it still wouldn’t help my current degree. I have also not had good experiences with professionals in the past actually majority of my experiences have been negative. I don’t know what I “want” because I have literally no idea what would help at this point I have tried everything I can think of and everything the many professionals I have seen can think of and nothing is helping so I can’t say what I want because I don’t know what would actually help me... 

@greenpea  Yes I have tried herbal stuff and changing my lifestyle and none of that has helped either. I did have a psychologist like that who I saw for about 7 years and even though they were ok to talk to they still couldn’t help with the issues I am having now some short term stuff was helpful but nothing has helped long term. And there are some issues it didn’t help with at all. 

@Eden1919 wrote:

@chibam  Online uni is not good for me I cannot focus enough to complete everything. Also it still wouldn’t help my current degree. I have also not had good experiences with professionals in the past actually majority of my experiences have been negative. I don’t know what I “want” because I have literally no idea what would help at this point I have tried everything I can think of and everything the many professionals I have seen can think of and nothing is helping so I can’t say what I want because I don’t know what would actually help me... 

So, literally if you found the lamp with the genie and the 3 wishes, you don't know what you would wish for?

I can understand how it must be extremely hard to get help when you can't explain what sort of help you need.

Do you think what you want is just someone to "get inside your head" and change how it works? If so, can you describe the new way you want it to work?

Or do you think what you really need is some sort of change to your circumstances, and/or the world around you?

In terms of your education problems, what if the dean came to you and said "we will do whatever you ask of us to help you with your education problems", do you know what you would ask him/her for in order to sort out your worries with your degree?

In any event, I think that that is probably a really important first step towards your solution: figuring out exactly what you want. Because IMHO, effective communication is an essential requirement for effective help, so we need to be able (and free) to communicate to others precisely what we need.

Everyone please just ignore this thread and forget I asked I shouldn’t have in the first place and I can’t have this conversation again I am sorry this is my mistake for asking. @@Moderators  please delete this thread if you can. 

@Eden1919  Eden1919 dont have the thread deleted. You have every right to ask the questions and put them out in the Sane community.I believe I get where you are coming from but unfortunately I dont have any answers but that doesnt mean that someone else wont. Keep positive and in touch. Love peaxx

@greenpea  It isn’t that I don’t think it is ok to ask this here it is just that I should have factored in the types of questions I would get in response and how they would make me feel.  I cannot count how many times I have been asked if I could wish for anything what would it be type questions and it is exhausting having to explain that want I want is neither material or spiritual or anything that is really something you can measure in exact terms. All I really want is to feel at peace and to be able to cope with who I am and what is going on around me. And any other things I want are only thing that can really happen if I am able to cope with things in the first place. But knowing what I want does absolutely nothing to help me achieve or get what I need all it does is show me that there’s is a lot that isn’t working and makes it harder to narrow down how to make it happen. Also for me trying to think of ideals does nothing because yes I can imagine something but it doesn’t do anything to change how things currently are knowing what you want or need doesn’t equal being physically or mentally able to have it it doesn’t even always give you a way to get it.

I have had these type of conversation so many times with professionals I cannot count and everytime is just ends with well no one knows what to do and that just makes me discouraged and frustrated and upset. And I guess I should have considered that such questions are logical leaps in response to my own question but that if I was going to ask I should have prepared myself for them and I didn’t do that which is why I think maybe just get rid of the thread because I have a feeling now that it will just end up with me feeling more hopeless. I don’t mean that that is anyone’s fault but I just didn’t think this through. 

@Eden1919I'm sorry my response upset you. That obviously wasn't my intent.

I'm probably overly prone to drawing on my own experience/situation in these sorts of discussions and that probably leads me to make some unfair assumptions. Since my own situation involves being well aware of the "what" I need, but needing help to get it, often I can't help but wonder if this is the nature of other peoples' dillemmas as well.

The way I read your last post, I understand that the help you want is to alter how your mind works? To change your thoughts/feelings so you can cope with things better? Is that right?

Have you tried self-hypnosis? I tried it and had some limited success with it. It didn't fix my life, but it did produce some minor improvements. I'm told that everybody has differant levels of suseptibility to hypnosis, so I imagine for some that it could have remarkable curative effects, whereas others won't be effected by it at all.

So obviously it doesn't come with any guarantees. But if you haven't already tried it, could it be worth a shot?

Another thing you might want to look in to is something called "Neuro-Linguistic Programming". My own therapist mentioned it after some pushing in one of our sessions. But she had an agenda with me, so I can't vouch for it's value or effectiveness. I looked in to it very briefly years ago, but I don't remember much. My understanding is that it's geared towards getting inside your head and changing your thoughts and/or feelings.

I apologize if any of this is stuff you've heard all before and/or if it dregs up any sour memories of past experiences. But please appreciate that we have very little information about your story to go on, so it's probably unavoidable that we - or anyone for that matter - are likely to stumble through old ground in the course of trying to help you find a solution.

If it's any consolation, I can most definitely sympathize with the frustrations of trying to have conversations with people that stumble into all the wrong places because nobody knows where anybody else is coming from. You quickly realize that there are so many relevant specifics that need to be clarified in order to get everybody up to speed and the conversation on the right track; only it would probably take you 500 pages to explain all the necessary details, and it's doubtful anybody would bother to read it all even if you had the time and drive to write such an explaination.

@Eden1919 wrote:

But knowing what I want does absolutely nothing to help me achieve or get what I need all it does is show me that there’s is a lot that isn’t working and makes it harder to narrow down how to make it happen. Also for me trying to think of ideals does nothing because yes I can imagine something but it doesn’t do anything to change how things currently are knowing what you want or need doesn’t equal being physically or mentally able to have it it doesn’t even always give you a way to get it. 

I get that - I think. But don't forget that knowing what you want and being able to describe what you want are essential steps in being able to get adequate help, which is what you are apparently seeking. A person can only truly help you if they understand what it is you want from them - and in the vast majority of cases, they'll only be able to have this understanding if you can communicate these needs to them.

So knowing what you want isn't entirely about you acquiring those things in the direct sense - it's also about you being able to effectively engage with the people you turn to for help. Keep in mind that strangers have absolutely no idea what's going on with you, or what's occurred in your past, especially in terms of what methods of 'help' you've been presented with that have proven to be inadequate or harmful.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance