Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Nirvana03
Casual Contributor

Self-Sabotage

I have been perscibed an antidepressant for quite a while now. Towards the beginning of the new medicaiton, I was very good about remembering to take it regularly. Once I started to feel better, however, I remembered less and less. I went days without taking it, then weeks, and now months. I couldn't come up with a reason for why I wasn't taking my medication even though I needed it in order to feel happy. Someone then pointed out to me that I could possibly be self-sabotaging myself subconsciously. The more and more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that I was choosing not to take my medication even though I knew that it would help me. I just can't understand why I am sabotaging myself when I want to be better. 

I'm just having a very hard time right now and am looking for some input. If anyone has any, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Self-Sabotage

Hi @Nirvana03

I can relate. I do the same. Every few months I stop my meds snd my psych snd doctor pointed out I was self sabotaging. I don’t know why I do it. I’m not better snd still need to take them. 

At the moment I am taking them but who knows I may stop sgsin. 

Its good that you are feeling good without your meds. 😊

Well no, I don't feel good without my meds, I feel worse. What I don't understand is why I choose not to take my meds when I know that they will make me feel better. And when I realize that I am going through another episode, I still choose not to take them, until I became aware of this ( I was doing it subconsciously in the past - now I'm just trying to undestand why I did this.)

I’m sorry @Nirvana03 i read it wrong. I’m the same I know I have to take them but at times I stop them. 

When I stopped it wasn’t until my doctor pointed out how important it was to tske them. And the reason I was unwell because of stopping the meds 

just a reminder when tagging someone put a @ snd start typing the name and a drop down box appears and you choose the name. Otherwise members won’t get a notification of your reply. 😊

hope thst makes sense 

@BlueBay ah sorry I'm new at this. 

Why is this a common thing for people persscribed medication to do?

I don’t know @Nirvana03 I think for me I self harm at times but nit often. I stop my meds more often than sh. 

Msybe I think I can getter without them. When in actual fact it’s worse. Maybe I’m punishing myself. It’s interesting. 

@BlueBay

Yes exactly, it's intersting. Someone also just pointed out to me that self sabotage could be a form of self harm. 

Yeah @Nirvana03 thsts exactly what my doctor told. I’m self harming. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance