Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

todays mental health Diagnosis /doctors advice ect

hello everyone Ill tag @bipolarbunny today I finally had my in person doctors appointment this afternoon Im 27 years old and have been diagnosed with Major/severe depression the doctor has straight away given me a script for anti depressant medication,she also asked alot of questions and explained that my treatment so far will be the medication and Phychologest appointments that will both be ongoing and as such I had no idea mental health meds can affect the ability to have children one day so I had to be sure to explain that the meds need to be safe also I did order a 6 pack of alcohol that I was going to drink some of tonight but now I cant as that doesnt mix well obvisously,also I know it sounds strange but I was kind of relieved to have a label for the symptoms and mood swings ect ,the doctor explained things very well and I tried my best to explain things although it did help that we had had a phone appointment first,but I am also concerned ,she explained side affects ect and I had to be honest and upfront about some things Ive not even told family about,the suicidal thoughts ,self hatred,self loathing ect but now Ive got my meds and I know it wont fix me but just manage my moods ect ,thank you for your support and others support here on the forumsHeart theres now a step forward in progress instead of steps backwards

7 REPLIES 7

Re: todays mental health Diagnosis /doctors advice ect

@LostAngel I am so glad to hear you got into see your doctor my friend. And it's not strange at all that you feel relief at finally having a label for your symptoms. Sometimes a diagnosis is very positive because we finally know what's going on and we have a starting point to recovery. 
Try not to worry too much about what side effects the meds may cause, because they may also not happen. Just take each day as it comes. Everyone is different and most side effects settle down after a few weeks. Good decision also to not drink with your meds.  So that's another big positive for you today, making such a mature decision that you reached on your own, so big kudos for that! 
I sincerely hope things go well with your new psychologist, you are well on the way to taking control of your illness. I am so proud of you! Hope you have a wonderful night. Remember I'm always here if you need to vent, chat or just virtual hug, much love 🙂 xx

BB 🐰💙 aka your Tomboy sister! 😉

theres now a step forward in progress instead of steps backwards

Thats the best thing i have read all day @LostAngel 

@LostAngel Well done on seeking out help and support for your mental wellbeing. It is daunting to come to terms with a diagnosis but really does help in understanding why you are the way you are. I also suffer from major depressive order but tried to hide and dismiss my issues over many years eventually leading to a massive drinking problem. I am so proud of you for taking the initiative to ask for help and being so open about your thoughts and feelings Xx

hi @Cin I have definetly still felt daunted at times however Im currently doing as told by docter to take my meds and see her again in 3 weeks time,have just taken meds tonight and as yet am not aware of any changes in mood though of course she said that would take awhile Im also not drinking alcohol ,as much as Id like to cause obviously anti depressants and alcohol do not mix,the side affects havnt been too bad so far, a bit light headed,headache now and then as for distracting myself I ended up listen to soul music alot today and for some reason that kind of music is helping,also messaged special someone,had my breakfast,lunch and dinner,watched netflix,showered twice,and got so bored I painted my nails with nail polish,Im still home alone till this weekend which yes in a way I shouldnt be but then again at times I dont feel alone but just sometimes lonely,I geuss Im getting lots of rest time which Ive needed,Ive eaten more menulog takeaway food this week than Id like to admit,kind of turning to food as a comfort but also soul music as a comfort,and special someone as a comfort mind you I messaged him quite alot today so maybe tomorow Ill let him have some time for himself,after all his got his own issues going on and stuff he needs to deal with anyway geuss Ill say goodnight, I am safe just alone in my house bubble,I dont like the side affects of meds and Ive more or less decided that from now Im gonna try to be more selective about who I tell my mental health information too ,even in family,only a select few will know spesifics about my meds and diagnosis just so someone knows Ill only tell people whom I choose to as a way for me to regain some control over my issues,so far Ive only told one family member Ill let probly just at least one more family member know for now,possibly special someone at some point in near future but that depends how long I can make that relationship work although tonight I acknoleged a mistake to him which was a good thing cause hopefully it prevented conflict,Im trying to behave more thoughtfull to others but that doesnt excuse some of my recent actions but anyway Ill have proper talks with certain people at the right time,also wish I had a car to drive already but hopefully soon cause it would be nice to feel independant in that way again too,Im trying thats the main thing,thanks everyone on here 

@LostAngel Definitely a lot of positives there.. Well done my friend.. Remember that we are always there for you.

I was fortunate in not noticing any concerning side effects from my medication although they did take a while to really kick in, so please don't feel disheartened if this happens for you.

And you are so right in saying that you are trying, that definitely is the main thing. 

I'm proud of your efforts Xx

thanks @Cin I have just done some online shopping of a couple hundred dollars but for things I need mind you,also is it bad to have your meds at a different time of day each day I mean the doctor said to take meds at bedtime and I did that the first night but then I had meds earlier at 8pm last night,I did wake up this morning with a bad headache,not doing too badly tonight though

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance