Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Depression Dementia Dad

hello @Former-Member

the dva pensioner has more benefits especially if has a gold card than a person on a centrelink pension

...I used to work for DVA many years ago..in that section ..Dva assists the pensioner...

there would be some entitlements to adapting the home from a safety access

sharon are you your dad's appointed carer? you may have answered this already somewhere else...head to foggy to remember ...cant deal with flitting back through other threads...

if you are the carer you can provide a copy of the documentation to DVA  and ring and ask any questions that you have in relation to his pension...gold card entitlements...etc...they will be able to answer general questions in relation to carers allowance and carers payment also.

The carer is the person who has to apply for the pension and that would be through centrelink..

there are two payments carers allowance and carers pension the latter being a higher payment and quite a task to get...if you are his allocated carer officially it would still be worthwhile applying for both payments...as the payment continues for a brief period after the pensioner passes..

this of course may all have changed since I worked there...my mum is on a widow's pension through DVA but no gold card as my dad was in the british airforce..

hope that I haven't confused you further..

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Shaz51

just thought of something else...

your dad would be entitled to a cleaner and a respite care worker..

someone who can take him to appointments etc..

I think that they used to get taxi vouchers also for medical appointments

jot down all of your questions...leaving space for answers that they provide..

ask as many questions as you have...they are there to help you and it is a different type of environment to centrelink...DVA you are not just a reference number in a queue

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Former-Member

special father daughter moments to be treasured...Heart 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Resisting the urge to ring & see if he's coping lol Might go op shopping...
Former-Member
Not applicable

Treat yourself @Former-Member
Former-Member
Not applicable

Checking in @Former-Member
Former-Member
Not applicable

Yeah, had my spend at the op shop 🙂

Dad had a wonderful time out at the Day Centre for Veterans. He stayed up till 11pm that night & talked about it on&off all night & visitors since. Pleased for him.

Saturday I took him to see his last living sibling - his sister whose 86 & in care. He kissed her on the cheek & eventually told her "my wife went to heaven two weeks ago" The response was interrupted but he got to tell someone in his family himself, think he needed that.

Bro4 stuffed me around this morning. Needed a lift to X-Ray at 0815 (busiest time for me), woke me 0700 to remind me, but then had the hide to ask me for money [he does drugs and already spent the $5k mum gave him a month ago. Mum let them use her for money all the time, she had it to give - I don't, & vowed I would not do the money lending trap / game with them.  When I said NO to lending money - he carried on a treat -but I didn't cave. I still went to get him but was 5min late - he drove past me, near his house, gave me a wave but didn't stop. . . 😕 I felt so cranky 😠. What a sucker i am - rushed to pack & label dad's linen for today's early pickup, and cook breakfast, and feed animals... & talk bro4's bad temper down... and then this grr! He's since said sorry by tx & asked me medical advice, by tx, but honest - best I don't talk with him this day 😯😬😤😠 best for him.

Thought i'd have a quiet coffee whole out, to compensate, calm down,  but got lost in peek hour traffic nearly an hour 😫. Spotted a new medical centre & knowing dad wasn't alone (nurses & physio coming), thought I'd finally find myself a Dr (now i've moved here, kinda). Got a referral to a Psychologist to help handle my family's crap lol & grief issues etc.  needless She gave me the MHCP referral,  to her psychologist who bulk bulls (how lucky is that) but cant get in for a month. My blood pressure was VERY high. Not just a little but 182 on 120 (like stroke level 😨). Dr ralsed on me for forgetting my pills this morning, told me to go home, take them & rest! (yeah, like that's gonna happen 😕). Then she says: "if you get a bad headache or dizziness - go to emergency straight away" (hmm,  now this is starting to sound serious...

I came directly home, not before dads nurse had phoned me with a pressing question about dads pills. When I arrived she was leaving, and dad's Clinical Nurse Case Manager  was there doing a review (she irritates me lol), asking questions. Feelt like i had an intermal timebomb about to go off any time, so deep breaths,  sat down,  a took my pills, more slow deep breaths, not letting on.of cause.

But here I am, a few hours later,  laying in bed resting this, checking dad every hour.. I'm tired... Hope its come down, the BP. DR said to have it checked @chemist this arvo & come back to see her tomorrow but gee, I think resting here's best.

Not sure how long I will last here,  doing.this 'carer' thing,  without support, starting to question myself.  

Self care can be difficult when you're always thinking of others...

Former-Member
Not applicable

Is BP on the way down @Former-Member?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks for asking @Darcy, nobody in real life seems much interested. Its a worry after being told by the - to go home & rest, take ya pills, check BP again in 4hrs & come back in tomorrow... And "if u get a bad headache or dizziness - go to emergency.  

The day after that BP 180/120, having taken my pills lol... I got fainty & breathless while out to lunch with dad -  i called into chemist to check BP - it wad sooo low - 102/56 what's going on?! Yesterday at the chemist it wad 145/95 (after shopping) so i just can't say if its ok or not. So,  I'm still taking it easy, especially in relation to my sibling crap.  Also Reducing intake to lose weight hopefully. My heart has been jumping around too. Not looking promising for me - i dont handle stress well... Starting to wonder if i'm gonna survive it all.  Looking at getting dad into respite soon,  somehow.  

How are you? How's Mr Darcy?

@Appleblossom, hope you dont mind me bringing this convo to this thread. Thank you for saying "its great that you look after your father" because my siblings here sure aren't giving me that message. Its like i interferred with some agenda. Or maybe that i lived far away for so long... they just don't know me. I've even been acused of being here to claim the estate... as if! And last night my son argued with me about it using the same 'tone' as them (not him) - i dont know why theyre so hung up on me being here. And their emotional withdrawal hurts so much, their lack of support... I might be wrong - but it's just 'evil' and exhausting. I don't know how else to be but me - yes i have drawn some boundaries, like:
- knock or anounce yourself on arrival - don't just walk in (which they're not doing anyway)
- refusing to lend money (copped abuse / crap from Bro4 all week over this one alone (now he's blown the 5k mum gave each of us a month ago & doez pot), it twists me up inside.
- refusing to give them written proof of every dollar i spend (but i am for my own records)
- telling my sister to 'slow down' the the disruption - going through & removing things etc in front of dad, unsettling him. Now shes telli g everyone i wont let her visit her father... sheesh? And i handed her another weapon when i yelled at her one day. She just turns everything around. My x was the same, sucks!
I even get a PTSD response now with text messages from bro3, crazy stuff.

You also said "no matter how hard I tried or what different ways I worked on my family, it did not work out" wow! Appleblosdom that must of been so harx for you. But its timely you say it now, i need to be reminded they are unlikely to change now. Thanks

Starting to doubt myself being here this week think i'm lonely.

Ladt night dad refused to change incont aid before bed grr I had to help him put a T-shirt & blanket on late ladt night as he's laying there topless, just a single sheet on - its cold after the rain. He said he was cold but doesnt go the next step. Bit sad but yes - glad i'm here Someone needs to be.

I asked my brothers for weeks to please mow the small front lawn (only about 18sq meter, slight hill), or lend me their mower one day. It got so bad i approached the neighbour to send over the guy who does their lawn - turns out it was mum's prior areanged fellow who charged extra but its done.  Apaet from pushong nt BP up - is it fair that i'm cranky with my brothers for not at doing mum & dads littlea lawn? Or take the bins out Thurs night. They are so full & heavy her with all the 'catchup' cleaning, & the steep sloap makes it hard on my knee, back & shoulder pain. I had to do it again last week, the day after the high blood pressure blew out. The neighbour does sometimes.  Had to mail money to get my own lawns done up north,  to the caretaker up north. I just think their little ways to show they care - instead the siblings want to criticise,  play the victim and argue about everything.  It tyres me. How do i let go & not feel hurt & cross that i'm having to do it all, then get criticised / accused of taking over... 

Bro3&4 (on CTO inj for pSz) are a worry,  their drug use & gambling - and physical health starting to fall apart now in 50s.  Bro4 went right off at me the other day for not lending him money.  I'm determined not to get cought up in tbat trap they had mum in.  Poor mum. Now he's angry with me now. Bro3 has serious chest problems interferring with sleep - he wont have a C-Ray because he believes his radiation levels are already too high from the neighbours lazor beaming him,  somehow through the truck foil reflectors coveting every square inch of his walls & even be smoke detevtor 😕  I think he might have mould in his dark closed up cave.  Its really sad.  I dont know what to do.  Bro2 is stupid  to be sain but ges been more abusivr than any of them,  falsly accising me of loving here to 'claim the estate'etc & in front of ppl - he's horrible to me & i just dont understand accept he is close to my sister who is, well, lets just say - a jealous & vindictive control freak. Dont k ow how to handle them.  

It is easier here without mum attacking me over the slightest tjing,  shoildnt be but relieved by that at least. One counsellor yold me to 'just leave' as they know how difficult my mum was and this often leaves a family 'messed up'(underbeath i hear him really daying - unworkable.  He even said at the beginning he "has grave concerns for my health being here" yikes,  that scared me.  

On a lighter note,  i had the best nights sleep in yonks - this beautful persistent soft rain has cooled things down and relaxes me.  Oh yes,  and mum's dog Georgia is so affectionate with me,  just a beautifil dog.  

IMG_20180205_083053.png

1. IMG_20180205_083155.png
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance